Monday, October 15, 2007

Garam Masala

Over the last couple of weeks, it seems like I've heard about the spice blend Garam Masala about 4 different times. Once when I bought a new frozen lunch, they had a little blurb about it in the Taste section of the paper, and then it was mentioned several times when I went out for Indian food with friends. So I decided to find a recipe that used it and give the flavors a try at home.

I found Garam Masala in the bulk section at Central Market. This blend included cumin, black pepper, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon. Nice to be able to just by a little. It's so fragrant - the smell permeated my whole pantry even though it's in a plastic bag.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


Then I scouted out a recipe. I decided to do Sweet Potato and Cashew Korma over Coconut Rice.

Earlier this year, my friend Carla introduced me to this great pressed tofu made locally in Dallas by a company called Calco. I buy it at Asia World Market, and I'll never buy the regular Kroger kind again.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


When it's cut, it the look and texture really resemble Portabellas. They make one that doesn't have the brown coloring, but I just like the way this kind looks.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


Gathered everything up and did the chopping...

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


The Basmati Rice cooked in coconut milk. Yummy! It made it very creamy and a little sticky when it was done.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


Things got hectic when I was cooking the Korma part (sweet potatoes, tomatoes, etc.), so I didn't get a picture of the pot. But the spices smelled wonderful. I loved the smell of the Garam Masala, ground coriander, ginger, and garlic.

Todd sliced a pineapple to go with our dinner.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


The final product. It has a little plain yogurt and chopped cashews on top.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


I thought this was very good. Todd liked it - he doesn't really care for sweet potatoes, but he thought the spices really made them taste better. I love sweet potatoes, and I thought the spices worked really well with their flavor. I would add a touch more spice (chili garlic sauce) next time. The coconut rice was delicious. It wasn't "knock your socks off" good, but definitely a keeper. I'd like to learn more about Indian cooking.

A friend told me about samosas baked in wonton wrappers - I might try that next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had tikka masala before but never garam masala. I'll have to check it out the next time we do the Indian buffet.

Michelle said...

The pressed tofu is also great if you cut it up and use it in a stir fry. I usually add it to green beans.