Thursday, October 18, 2007

By Request

I was thumbing through (ok, poring over) an Eating Well magazine on a road trip to E TX to pick up the boys, and Todd pointed at the picture that went with the recipe for Spaghetti Squash and Pork Stir-Fry and said he'd like to try that. Tonight was the night.

First I did battle with the spaghetti squash - this one was more tender than the ones I've bought in the past. I had the hammer out for banging the knife handle, but it wasn't necessary. I was kinda looking forward to that.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


I baked for an hour, let cool, and then shredded.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


While that was baking, I sliced onions (I used red b/c I was out of the green that it called for) and sliced the pork tenderloin into matchsticks. Couldn't bring myself to take a picture of the raw meat. Also bathed two little monkeys while it was baking.

This started with sesame oil, which I don't think I've stir fried with before. It was great - easy to work with. Sauteed the onions and then browned the meat.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


After the meat browned, I added the squash and additional flavorings like soy sauce, chili garlic sauce (seems like I use this every night), and rice vinegar.

The final product: (I don't think it made a very pretty picture)

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


We both thought this recipe was good and had potential. First of all, it was quick and easy. Todd thought the squash was pasta - it does have that texture, but so much more flavor. The first mistake I made was not draining after browning the beef. The recipe didn't call for it, but it didn't need that extra liquid or flavor. This recipe really needs lots more veggies - red and green bell peppers, bean sprouts, and the green onions that it calls for. That would make it prettier, and I just missed them. Also, this was supposed to cook in a wok - I don't have one. I don't know how that would have affected it.

Todd commented that it would be great with tofu instead of the pork - I've created a monster! He's right - I would marinate the tofu in some Asian flavorings, and I think that would be great.

I'm hoping to try a couple more squash recipes in the next few weeks since they're so pretty at the stores right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this looks yummy!!! I just printed the recipe from the website - thanks for sharing.

keep 'em coming Holly!!

~Dina (DAM)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I am now looking at a spaghetti squash and thinking why did I do this after a root canal. Should be fun!!!!!!!!! Love your blog.

Jon