Thursday, October 11, 2007

Cucumber accomplishment

I've been chastised by some friends at dinner this evening about not posting enough, so I had to come home and check the camera to see what I could conjure up tonight from things I'd snapped this week...

As I have been on this journey of learning about healthy eating, I have slowly started to eat more veggies. I found that getting rid of the processed flavors allowed my palate to enjoy fresh flavors and textures more. It also made me want to rid myself of some of my childhood "dislikes," and one that I really focused on was cucumbers. They are in so many vegetarian sandwiches and wraps, but I have always hated cucumbers. But after about 6 months of including them in our diet, I can honestly say that I really like them. I prefer the English (hothouse) cucs, though - they seem a little milder and don't cause stomach problems. Red bell pepper is really growing on me, too. I haven't tackled green bell peppers and melon yet, though.

This week, I used cucumbers to make tzatziki sauce to keep in the fridge for dipping pitas and raw veggies for snacks. This was the first time I had put yogurt on cheesecloth (I used paper towels) to get most of the moisture out - I was surprised how the consistency really changed.

Shredded cucumber:

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


Mixing it up. I added red pepper flakes...just b/c I add them to pretty much everything.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


To dress it up, I served it in my finest Dora melmac. It's the new Waterford.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Tzatziki sauce is my favorite (although I'm never sure exactly how to pronounce it)! I've looked up recipes for it before but it sounded like a lot of work. There is a Greek deli/grocery near work and I can buy it premade there.