Friday, March 28, 2008

Red Beans and Rice

This is a "dump-it-all-in-the-crockpot" recipe that I actually like! But I grew up eating this (cooked on the stovetop), so it is comfort food for me.

I start by...well...just dumping it all in!

I do one bag of rinsed red beans (not soaked overnight), one large chopped onion, 4 or 5 minced garlic cloves (or a big spoonful from the cheater jar), chop one package Healthy Choice sausage, 2 bay leaves, 2 tsp Lawry's seasoning salt, red and black pepper to taste.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


Then I cover with 2 quarts of liquid - some combo of vegetable stock, beef stock, chicken stock, and water. Whatever I have on hand. Cook for 6 or so hours on low. I always check it 1 hour before it's supposed to be done and turn it to high if the beans are still a little crunchy.

I made Alton Brown's Baked Brown Rice (minus the butter) for the base. I served with Spicy Asian Slaw tonight - for some reason, I like these flavors together. Cajun and Asian.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books

No comments: