Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cuban Black Bean Patties with Pineapple Rice


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


I'm sorry - that zucchini doesn't look very appetizing!

For some reason, I couldn't get it together while I was cooking this (gosh, wonder why? *cough* Leo *cough* Henry), but it tasted pretty good. I burned the zucchini and filled the kitchen up with smoke.

But, anyway, the patties and pineapple rice were YUMMY! I have yet to meet a homemade bean patty I don't like. They just seem kinda labor-intensive. Usually I double and freeze half...I keep having this crazy idea of having a bean patty co-op where everyone makes like five batches of one kind, freezes them, and then swaps with four other people so you have five batches of different kinds in your freezer. Anybody wanna? lol.

So, this recipe was pretty easy. Something about the amount of beans needed is off. I wanted to double, so I bought two cans. It calls for 2 cups of beans and says that is the amount in one can. But there is only 1.5 cups of beans in a can...so I ended up with not quite enough beans. Then the patties were small (I made 8), so we each ate two, but it calls for eating one. But they definitely weren't 1" thick. We had nothing left to freeze b/c we both packed them for leftovers. WHEN I DO IT AGAIN, I will triple the beans, double all the other ingredients, and hopefully have some to freeze.

For the rice, I used whole grain wild rice instead of white. Baked it with Alton Brown's recipe. Then I added the sauteed pineapple, cilantro, and salt. It was a great accompaniment.

No comments: