Monday, February 18, 2008

Vegetable Enchiladas

I feel like I must have posted this one in the past, but I can't find it in the list. If it's old, I apologize. This has been a favorite from the very beginning of WW days.

Here is the basic recipe. I have made it so many times that I change it up without much worry.

Veggie Enchiladas

2 tsp canola oil
2 (4 oz) Portobello mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 cup white mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 zucchini, diced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp adobo seasoning
1 (19 oz) can enchilada sauce
6 (8") FF flour tortillas
6 Tbsp FF sour cream
1/2 cub shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a 9X13 baking dish with nonstick spray.

2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the Portobello and white mushrooms, the zucchini, scallions, garlic, and seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, until any liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce; heat through.

3. Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in foild and place in the oven to warm, about 10 mins.

4. Top each tortilla with 1/6 of the mushroom mixture, then with 1 Tbsp of the sour cream. Roll up and place, seam-side down, in the baking dish. Spoon the remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with the cheese and olives. Cover with foil and bake 15 mins. Uncover and bake until the edges of the enchiladas just begin to brown, and the cheese is melted, about 10 mins longer. Let stand 5 mins before serving.

Makes 6 servings; 4 points

From WW Winner's Circle Cookbook p.138

I begin by chopping lots of veggies. Tonight I did 3 small portabellas, white mushrooms, two zucchini, 4 garlic cloves, and 4 green onions. I usually do more portabellas from Sam's (b/c they're so cheap there), but I couldn't make it to Sam's today.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


Then I decided it just wasn't enough veggies to make a hearty filling for each enchilada, so I decided to add two diced carrots. This was the first time I've tried this. I also added the Adobo spice, as called for in the recipe.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


Then I sauteed until all the liquid was gone. After that, I added the 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce and cooked until heated.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


We have always used Pace Enchilada Sauce, but my WalMart isn't carrying it anymore. Tonight we tried this kind, and it got a good review. It has good flavor and enough kick.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


After heating the mixture, I put it back in its original bowl. I use a spoon to divide it into six equal portions around the rim of the bowl so I'm sure to have enough for all the enchiladas.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


I place the filling down the middle of each FF tortilla and then add 1Tbsp of FF sour cream.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


After all six are rolled, I top with reduced-fat cheddar and black olives. I cook at 350 for 30 minutes or so.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


I forgot to take a picture when they first came out of the oven, but here is part of the finished product. This is a favorite around here, and I hope you'll give it a try. The carrots were a wonderful addition, and I'm going to try adding green and red bell peppers next time - the more veggies, the better!!!

(I served with an old favorite - Green Rice.)

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books

No comments: