Monday, November 19, 2007

For Mandy: A super easy one! Portabella Burgers

Mandy asked me what I make that is super easy. This is one my friend Alicia pointed out a long time ago. They are so good - my meat-lover husband wanted these on Saturday night this weekend.

Grilled Portobello Burger with Basil Mayo

1/4 cup basil, fresh, chopped
3 Tbsp reduced-calorie mayonnaise
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
4 medium portobello mushroom(s), caps, equivalent to 1 pound
4 sprays olive oil cooking spray
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
4 medium mixed-grain hamburger roll(s)
3/4 cup roasted red peppers, about 4 pieces
4 slice red onion(s)
4 piece lettuce

1. Heat grill or grill pan. In a small bowl, combine basil, mayonnaise and vinegar; set aside.

2. Lightly coat both sides of mushroom caps with cooking spray; season with salt and pepper.

3. Grill mushrooms over medium-high heat, until just soft to the touch, about 6 minutes per side.

4. To serve, split rolls and toast on grill. Spread a heaping teaspoon of basil mixture on top and bottom halves of rolls. Layer each bottom half with one lettuce leaf, red pepper, mushroom and onion slice; top with remaining half of roll and serve

I bought two huge portabellas at super target. Todd charcoal grilled them.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


I was at Whole Foods this weekend, so I bought these Sea Salt Ciabatta rolls to put them on. They were good, but too much bread. I might try them on the Rosemary Rolls from there, but I think they're also great on Orowheat Stone Ground Hamburger Rolls.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting


The Basil Mayonnaise is very easy to mix up. I have used fresh basil, and also the squeeze kind that comes in a tube. It's just basil, light mayo, and cider vinegar.

Oh, and they are also very good with a slice of pepper jack on top of the mushroom.

The finished product. Very good. I serve with oven fries, usually. This night, we had leftover pasta salad from bunko night.

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting

No comments: